Monday, May 24, 2010

Peace, Be Still

I sat in the boat surrounded by my comrades
Fog shrouded our little ship
Fierce winds blew us first one way and then the other
When the wind parted the fog, we could see the waves tossing higher and higher
We baled frantically, making no headway as the waves crashed against the sides
Occasionally I glanced toward the back of the boat and still he slept
How could he sleep when our very lives were in danger?
Finally someone woke him with the words, “don’t you care if we drown?”
He woke and looked into our eyes and said to the wind and the waves, “Peace, be still.”

I sat in the boat surrounded by my church
A fog of mistrust shrouded our little ship
Fierce winds of controversy blew us first one way and then the other
Waves of accusation tossed us higher and higher
Folks baled frantically, but the waves of mistrust crashed against the sides
Threatening to swamp our little ship.
Occasionally I glanced to the heavens, but He seemed to be asleep
How could he sleep when His own Church seemed to be in such danger?
Finally someone roused Him with the words, “Don’t you care if the ship goes down?”
He stood in our midst and looked into each of our eyes and said, “Peace. Be Still.”

I sat in the boat surround by my family
A fog of damaged relationships shrouded our little ship
Fierce winds of broken dreams blew us first one way and then the other
Waves of misunderstanding tossed us higher and higher
We baled half-heartedly, but the storms of life crashed against the sides
Threatening to swamp our little ship
Occasionally I glanced into the midst of our turmoil and wondered if He was asleep
How could He sleep when our family threatened to disintegrate with each new wave?
In my anguish I cried out, “Don’t you care if we all drown?”
He stepped into our midst, laid His hands on our shoulders and said, “Peace, be still.”

I sat in the boat in the midst of my world
A fog of doubt and fear shrouded my little ship
Fierce winds of a world gone awry blew first one way and then another
Waves of corruption tossed me higher and higher
I had stopped baling because I could make no progress.
Was God asleep, did He not care?
I cried out in my anguish, “Lord, help me lest I drown!”
He stepped into my world and looked into my eyes.
He touched my life and said in a voice only I could hear, “Peace, my child. Be still.”

No comments:

Post a Comment